Space and Equipment Use Policies
The following policies are to help maintain safe and functional spaces for all guests, and make SCD resources available using equitable processes. SCD is here to support everyone’s creative journey and design process, and following these guidelines will ensure these resources are here to support future design needs as well.
Space requests for any RSO events or activities must first be approved by the Student Organization, Development, and Administration (SODA) Office before they will be confirmed by SCD. SODA office requires submitting event requests 7 business days before the event. SCD requires submitting space requests 3 days before the event, with a completed event approval from the SODA office. This means you need to start at least 2 weeks before the event to complete the process. RSO space requests submitted without approval from the SODA office will be denied.
Space requests must be submitted at least 3 days before the requested date to be reviewed in time. Requests submitted less than 3 days before the reservation are not considered approved unless a confirmation message is received from the SCD programming team.
Course (Full-Semester) Reservations
Booking rooms for upcoming semesters is managed separately from the space request process. Learn more about how instructors can connect with SCD by sending us a message, or connecting with our Curriculum Development team and the Assessment and Research Lab.
General Space and Equipment Use Policies:
- Access: SCD spaces and equipment are only available to students, faculty, and staff of the University of Illinois System, and registered student organizations (RSOs). A valid University email address is required to reserve spaces, and an active I-Card is required to check out any equipment.
- Support: The SCD Concierge, and Shop team are available at scheduled service times to support guests in getting familiar with building resources and technologies. Questions or additional support requests can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Breaking any of these policies is grounds for loss of access to SCD resources for groups and individuals.
- The SCD programming team reserves the right to change any space or equipment use policies, or edit reservations to address scheduling conflicts or priority needs.
These policies apply to all spaces in SCD except for The Shop and Media Studio, which have their own safety and use requirements that can be found here.
Booking and Scheduling Policies
- Space Requests: Submitting a request does not guarantee use of the space.
- Any requests that do not receive a confirmation are not considered approved and are not guaranteed availability of the space.
- Space requests are accepted only for the current semester, and opened up after all classes have been confirmed for the following semester. Space requests will open up on the following schedule:
- August 1: Fall requests accepted through December 15
- November 1: Spring requests accepted through May 15
- April 1: Summer requests accepted through August 15
- Confirmations: Reservations are confirmed by the SCD Programming team, and a confirmation message will be sent to the contact who submitted the request.
- Once an event is confirmed, any questions or cancellations can be sent in response to that message, to ensure the correct reservation information is being used.
- A confirmation only guarantees use of the space noted in the message, and is not transferable to other spaces without a new confirmation from SCD.
- Cancellations: There is no penalty for canceling reservations.
- Please notify SCD if you are not going to use a space so it can be opened for others to use.
- Repeated cancellations or unused bookings may result in limits on future space requests.
- Minors: Any activities that will involve minors must follow all Protection of Minors requirements for the University. No unsupervised minors are allowed in reserved or public spaces.
Room Equipment and Fixtures Policies
- All rooms must be reset to ready-to-use condition at the end of your reservation, with furniture returned to place, whiteboards erased, supplies cleaned up, users logged out of computers, and all room media and AV equipment shut down.
- No furniture can be taken out of a room without permission and assistance from SCD staff. This includes rolling whiteboards and chairs. This is to ensure that equipment and rooms are not damaged, and equipment is in place as needed for other guests.
- Do not disconnect or remove cords from any SCD media and AV equipment.
- Moving SCD equipment and furniture that are not on wheels is not permitted. This includes podiums in Classrooms 1000, 1002, and 0060; HUTs in collaboration studios; and conference tables in meeting rooms and meeting alcoves.
- All signs, directions, information, and postings for events must be cleared or removed at the end of your reservation.
Resources and Staff Support
- SCD staff does not provide on-demand tech support for all reservations, and cannot guarantee the availability of all resources and equipment for every event. Student staff support is available during scheduled Concierge hours, and the SCD programming team can meet in advance of reservations to review tech needs and use.
- If event organizers need additional services, support, furniture, equipment, and resources not provided in the space they have booked, they must reach out to the appropriate party to arrange this and will be on site to meet any vendors or service providers for their event. SCD will not act as the point of contact for caterers or other vendors, unless prior arrangements have been made.
- Deliveries may only use the SCD loading garage to bring in large items if prior arrangements have been made with the SCD team to access the dock.
- SCD does not provide storage for equipment or supplies that are delivered more than a day before an event reservation. All deliveries should be scheduled for the day of or within your reservation time for setup, or arranged with SCD for storage until the event. Equipment must be removed within one day of the reservation ending, unless approved by SCD.
- Food and drinks are allowed in all rooms, and must be cleaned up entirely at the end of your reservation. No large boxes, catering trays, or anything that does not fit in a garbage may be left on the floor or near a garbage can; pedestrian access to the dumpster is available outside of the Southwest entrance for disposing of large items. SCD can provide additional 50-gallon garbage cans if requested for an event.
- No construction, fabrication, or finishing work that would create any mess, requires a sink for wet-work, creates odors or fumes, or requires safety equipment can be done outside of The Shop; this includes painting, sanding, sawing, drilling, soldering, sculpting, epoxy work, or any hand-tooling that may damage the tables and surfaces.
- Any audio or noises must remain below 70 decibels when measured at the source.
Signs, Postings, and Displays around SCD
- Designated areas and supplies are provided for postings and way-finding signs; any postings or information not using an approved display area or hanging method will be removed.
- Only painters tape may be used to tape on any surfaces in SCD. No stickers, fasteners, or markers are allowed on windows, furniture, or walls in SCD.
- All postings or displays must identify the owner, group, or contact who posted it, and a date when the posting or display is going to be removed; postings without a contact, group name, or date will be removed immediately.
- Posting walls are available outside of the restrooms on both levels, cork boards are above the water fountains on both levels, and grid walls for fliers are located throughout the building. See a member of the Concierge or SCD staff for more information.
- Rolling whiteboards are not to be used as signs, and must remain in the rooms where they are located. Whiteboard stanchion signs are available throughout SCD for way-finding.
- Any signs, directions, or information that is posted for an event, must be taken down or erased after the event is completed.
- Long term displays, art installations, and large postings must be approved by the SCD programming team, and may require approval from University public art committees.
- By posting materials in public areas of the building, you accept the risk of your materials being vandalized or removed (whether accidentally or intentionally) by guests, SCD staff, or building services workers.
- Lockers are reallocated and assigned to groups each semester, and must be renewed every semester with the SCD programming team. Current use of a locker does not guarantee continued use in future semesters.
- Locker codes are set once per semester and kept on file by SCD. Codes can be selected in collaboration with the user group, and will only be reset if necessary due to security concerns.
- Food and drinks are not allowed to be stored in SCD lockers for any amount of time.
- Lockers must be cleaned out or registered with SCD to keep things over the summer and winter breaks. Any items cleared out of lockers will be kept 4 weeks into the following semester to be reclaimed.
- Lockers should be prioritized for current projects and material storage; items that are not actively and regularly used will not be given priority when lockers are reassigned each semester.